Sunday 1 June 2008

Down a big black hole...

This last week I have been uploading songs to my iPod ready for my holiday, which is coming up on June 14th. On looking through all my CDs to decide what to put on there, I came across the CD of my interview with Bono, which took place on 26th June, 1997. God, that was so long ago, but I remember quite clearly the way I felt during the time I was negotiating getting the interview.

I was doing the fanzine "The Real Thing" with co-editor, Jackie Harper, and had written to Principle Management asking them if there was any chance. I can't even remember what date we originally asked, but I do know it was a long time before we actually got the interview.

On July 26th, 1996, something quite amazing happened. I picked up the post from my doormat (remember when you used to get REAL post?) and there was a letter from Dublin. I opened it and almost died on the spot! This is what it said...


I unfolded the enclosed letter with great excitement. Below is a scan of it, and, for anyone not used to Bono's scribble, there is a transcript below it.
"Debbi

Just a note to say that we're down a big black hole at the moment recording the U2 album.... hoping to come out of it soon.... with some digital light and a bunch of new tunes.... meanwhile we're not making much sense and incapable of talking to anyone excluding each other....... comminicating by grunt..... feedback and drums might not make for a good chat.

See you down the road.

Bono"
As you can imagine, I was so excited to get this letter, and it put my mind at rest that at least Bono actually knew about us trying to get the interview. It gave me hope.

However, it was to be almost one year until we finally got the interview. Of course, the album that had the band down a big black hole was Pop, and when we talked to Bono they had already started the Popmart tour in America.

Once I figure out how to do it, I will be posting the interview, and maybe a transcript, time permitting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Debbi - I look forward to part 2 of this post :)

blue kite said...

Like C (long time U2 friend) said look for part 2. This is great!! GREAT!!!