Tuesday 1 January 2008

Happy New Year

Well, 2008 is here. I hardly noticed it; it kind of crept up on me while I was watching the telly last night and drinking wine. Very underdressed it was, so I didn't recognise it. In fact, it was dressed very much like 2007. What a swizz!

I never go out on New Year's Eve any more because I would rather have my toenails pulled out with pliers than stand in a noisy, crowded, sweaty pub with a bunch of people, most of whom will turn into shrieking baboons at midnight! And don't get me wrong, I don't mind staying in. It's okay. You get to slob out in front of the TV in your jim jams and slippers, and when you fall over drunk after a bottle of wine then either your spouse or your sofa will catch you! Perfect. But I sometimes wish I was somewhere more exciting.

Two years ago at New Year 2005/2006, I was in Dublin, standing outside Christchurch Cathedral listening to the New Year bells with my friends Sue and Julie. Sue and I have been talking lately and we really want to do that again, so maybe next year!

So welcome to 2008 one and all. I hope you got to spend it with someone you at least quite like, and I hope you get what you wish for in the coming year.

No comments: