Thursday 6 March 2008

When Mr B met Mr B!

On Tuesday my good friend Alan, aka Boner from the Scottish tribute band NU2, was in Dublin and since U2 are in the studio at Hanover Quay, he decided to go down and chance his arm. I gave him the benefit of my (not too extensive) wisdom and experience (ahem), and it paid off because he finally got to meet Bono!!! I was in touch with him via text message throughout it all and I was so excited it was like I was there myself! Afterwards, Alan phoned me and gave me a brief synopsis of the meeting but, as I know from experience, it is hard to remember a meeting with Bono in full until a little while later, when your stupid grin has faded a bit and your excitement has settled. Tonight, I got an email and this is what happened, in Boner's own words:

After walking from Grafton St for what seemed like hours (and crossing the Liffy without realising) I eventually reached HQ.

I was struck by the contrast between the swanky restaurants and chic buildings at the Quay and U2's somewhat dilapidated studios. However this did make me chuckle at U2's defiance of Dublin City Council. Who runs Dublin anyway? Bono does!

When I arrived at about 1.30pm there was a group of 5 girls - one from Brazil or Argentina - not quite sure, 2 from France, a Dutch girl now living in Dublin, oh yes and a Polish girl with her maw! Is that 5?

I sought some reassurance that something U2-like was gonna happen but they seemed not in the know and when I mentioned the thing about the garage door and the posts they looked at me like I had horns.

It then became quite boring with only the constant stream of workmen retunring from lunch with their builder bums saluting me as they passed.

After about an hour and 10mins the garage door went up and a bloke with a big mouser came out and looked up the street. (Deb's Note: I just realised that a "mouser" is a moustache and that Boner is talking here about Sammy O'Sullivan, U2's famous mouser sporter!) Two minutes later the Edge arrived in his car and drove straight in. The door went down but 5 mins later went up again. Bono drove up the street in what I think was a big Merc and drove in. Door down again.

Debbi texted me to say Bono would come out in 10-ish mins and lo and behold the Exit door opened and he strolled out smiling and rubbing his hands. Three Irish guys had arrived about ten minutes earlier with CDs, books and birthday cards to sign. All I had was a crappy O'Callaghan Hotels map. I stood back a bit and let the foreign girls talk to Bono first as they had been waiting hours before me. One girl asked Bono to phone her sister but he declined saying "I'd rather not do the phone thing".

The Polish girl introduced her mother and Bono smiled a yelled "MAW" and kissed her hand. Class!

He asked where everyone was from. He was genuinely interested in why they were all in Dublin. The Dutch girl said she was working in Dublin, Bono said "It's always good to work in Dublin" I said "I'm being paid as we speak" and he grinned at me.

The South American girl was seriously overwhelmed and was almost moaning and trying to get him to read this long note she had with her.

The Dutch girl said can you get Adam to come out. Bono said "I have never had any control over what Adam does."

The Irish guys produced more stuff, a flyer for Bonovox amongst other things and Bono laughed out loud.

More photos followed and I thought I better make my move as he was making noises to go.

I muscled in and said Bono - a photo please. "Sure" He put his arm round me (crikey). I gave my phone to the Polish girl and started chatting to him. He was standing on a step and I was at ground level, he crouched down a wee bit

"I am in a U2 tribute band from Scotland y'know"

"Really, that's great" said Bono

"You know who I am?...YOU!!" I said

Bono turned his head and looked me up and down, smiled then looked me in the eye but did not speak. His look basically said "Seriously??"

I then looked at the Polish girl who had my phone round the wrong way and was about to take a photo of herself. I said no no, turn it round.

Bono said "I'm gonna give ya a peace sign" and she took the pic.

He then said "I gotta run now" shook my outstretched hand and turned round and went back in.

Awesome.


And here is the money shot! Boner and Bono... united at last!!!


2 comments:

Sue Fell said...

I'm so pleased for Boner, loved reading his story - every fan should meet the B-man!

DebbiV said...

Amen! And I absolutely LOVE the comment he made about Adam!! LOL. I can just picture the look on his face as he said it.

I am seriously overdosing on Bono this last two days! Lovin every minute!!!