Wednesday 4 March 2009

No Line On The Horizon - Review

This weekend I went to stay with my friend, Sue, in Carlisle, where we got together with another friend - Dawn - to buy and listen to the new album. It was quite an occasion, and apart from the tracks we saw performed on various television programmes in the week that led up to the release, we had not listened to any of the album. So we were all on the same page as we sat to listen. I wrote down some thoughts on our very first listen, and have included some of them in this review, which is written after I have listened to the album a few times. I know that my thoughts will change frequently, so I might post about this again in a few weeks.

No Line On the Horizon

A magnificent (no pun intended) song, and when I first heard/saw this on The Culture Show (played live at HQ) I was moved to tears. It was so exciting to see that they had not lost "it" and I was incredibly excited by the energy in this song. Love the lyrics, and the guitar, bass and drums have such power. Undulating waves and the volume goes up and down, with Bono singing softly sometimes and then soaring loud at others. A firm favourite.

Magnificent

A very 80s-like U2 song... the classic sound, but done a million times better. When the song starts it sounds like you have come in near the middle or the end, almost like this song has been playing forever, on a timeless loop. It sounds instantly familiar and right. Great lyrics, and you can imagine this in the stadiums.

Moment of Surrender

My least favourite at the moment. The lyrics are beautiful and Bono's voice is lovely. A great song full of emotion, but I can't listen to it much because of the annoying musical arrangement, which for me, spoils it. The "popping, bubbling" percussion in the background is relentless and out of synch with the music and at odds with the song. In my initial notes I wrote: "cacophony of instruments" and that was my overriding first impression. I hope I can get over that because I want to give it a fair chance. On headphones it is much worse!

Unknown Caller

The birdsong track! Starts off sounding like Bad, which is good! Very hypnotic. Sounds like a typical U2 track musically to start with, but then moves into a strange vocal of several male voices. It alternated between this and Bono's solos, and is intriguing. I quite like it, the monotone chanting almost, mixed with melody. Reminds me of a Police song. I like the horn parts.

I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight

Another favourite. Like the range of Bono's voice. Brilliant, witty lyrics coupled with poignancy. A great hook and a great one for singing along to at the shows.

Get On Your Boots

It's always so strange to hear the first single when the album comes out, because it feels like it has been around forever and needs no review. Suffice to say I love it, and I think it actually fits in well where it is placed on the album. Brings some levity.

Stand Up Comedy

Wish I could read the lyrics that some bright spark decided to print white-on-white in the booklet that came with the album. Has the great line "Stop helping God across the road like a little old lady." And of course the "be careful of small men with big ideas" line! Great rocker, but I need to listen to it more.

Fez - Being Born

A song about birth. Of a man? Of an album? You can hear elements of several tracks in this, starting most obviously with "Let me in the sound". A snapshot of the whole album, a record of its birth. Lovely vocal by Bono. At times you almost imagine him being pushed into the world, wailing like a baby. Love the end lyrics: "Head first then foot/then heart sets sail" The ideas are born.

White As Snow

Bono's words set to a traditional tune, so it is strangely familiar. Very typical of an Irish dirge. This is typical also of the general mood of the album, which is introspective and melancholic. The story of a man reminiscing about his youth, mourining something lost - innocence? Beautiful, beautiful singing.

Breathe

Liked this a little on first hearing/seeing it on TV. Love it a lot now. I like the way it changes frequently. It starts off with a rambling Bono talking interesting gibberish (never thought I would hear the word "cockatoo" in a U2 song, ha ha). Moves quickly into another singalongable U2 song. Weirdly uplifting despite the slight menace the "rapping" suggests. Can imagine 50,000 voices taking this one and running with it in the summer!

Cedars Of Lebanon

More of a poem than a song. Reminds me a lot of "If You Wear That Velvet Dress" but without ever going into a chorus. Nothing like I imagined from the title. Pleasant but not a fire-starter!

Overall, I am more pleased and delighted with this album than I dared hope I would be. On first listen I thought... "Mmmm... it's okay, but I need to work on it." Now, I find that it took less work than I thought, and I love it all to varying degrees. Sue, Dawn and I commented that this was exactly what we had asked for. It was as if U2 had listened to our brief and delivered what we requested... a new, innovative album which has layers and layers that it is a pleasure to peel away.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Debbie,

Kenlad here. Really interesting review. I wish i'd done the same with my first listen. Though i must admit my feelings were very similar. I posted my first thoughts on the Nu2 forum. I'd heard the album the previous week via u2.com.

Did you get the album version with the anton corbijn movie? Its a very very interesting way to listen to the album and also includes another new track "Winter" which is pretty good.

Great to hear from you miss, much love.

KenLad

Sue Fell said...

Our views are quite similar!

Anonymous said...

great thoughts. my first impressions of some of the songs have changed a bit, but still loving it overall. funny, i disliked i'll go crazy at first, so light and all, but then i realized i actually loved it, sort of irresistible bono cuteness in that song. and best of all, the songs on this album already sound amazing live.