Sunday 6 April 2008

I've made a re-discovery!

Lately I have been listening a lot to All That You Can't Leave Behind... I think because I remember how it felt to be waiting for that album, and I am feeling the same now as I wait for the next one.

There are some wonderful songs on ATYCLB, like Walk On, Peace on Earth, and this one here - When I Look At The World. I am obsessed with it at the moment. The lyrics are stunning. I've copied them here. They make me hungry for Bono at his best, and I am excited by various reports and rumours that Bono's lyrics are really going to be fantastic on this next album.

Fingers crossed!! When he is on form there is no one to match him, and his words have the ability to knock you off your feet. Just simple words that he puts together so well and in his unique way.

When I Look At The World - Copyright U2. Lyrics by Bono.

When you look at the world

What is it that you see

People find all kinds of things

That bring them to their knees

I see an expression

So clear and so true

That changes the atmosphere

When you walk into the room

So I try to be like you

Try to feel it like you do

But without you its no use

I cant see what you see

When I look at the world

When the night is someone else's

And you're trying to get some sleep

When your thoughts are too expensive

To ever want to keep

When theres all kinds of chaos

And everyone is walking lame

You dont even blink now do you?

Dont even look away

So I try to be like you

Try to feel it like you do

But without you its no use

I cant see what you see

When I look at the world

I cant wait any longer

I cant wait til Im stronger

Cant wait any longer

To see what you see

When I look at the world

Im in the waiting room

I cant see for the smoke

I think of you and your holy book

When the rest of us choke

Tell me tell me

What do you see

Tell me tell me

Whats wrong with me?

3 comments:

Sue Fell said...

Haven't listened to that song for ages! I'm not keen on it musically, but yes, the lyrics are excellent. There were lots of theories what they meant, personally I see it as a crisis of faith. I do hope Bono's lyrics are of this standard on the next album. I quite often felt they were lacking originality and inspiration on the last album - compared to some of Bono's previous work. Just my opinion!

DebbiV said...

It's the lyric for me that always dominates, so even if the song is poor musically, it still takes me over. Actually, although musically this is not one of my faves, the music actually works with the lyric... and the more I listen to it the more I think that.

I agree about the crisis of faith, and I think Bono is comparing himself to someone like Ali, who probably has a much more uncynical view of the world.

donna b said...

Just this week I started listening to this song again which is probably one of my favorites because of the lyrics. It settles me on days when I feel like I can't relate or feel frustrated that I don't see things the same way as others and reminds me that my differences are a part of who I am and not to be compromised because of what I see. Musically, it is a bit different, calming to me personally but mostly brings my attention back to the words.