Monday 14 April 2008

Poem Time

I Want To Write A Poem...

I want to write a poem
That’s what I want to do
Take some words and make them
Real and true

To capture, to nurture,
To make men fly
To show them that lowliness
Makes them high

Words that will wring tears
From the hardest heart
That will place life’s racers
Back at the start

Slow them, show them,
That this is it
The one chance to make life
A perfect fit

A lyrical sunrise with blue
And green
And pictures the faithless
Have never seen

A map of the world
Made from letters of truth
Charted by age-worn
To guide innocent youth

I want to write a poem
That comforts the soul
That crushes the doubters
And makes faith whole

A poem that strokes
With words that heal
So that losers get
Ahead of the deal

I want to write a poem
That will change a mind
From bitter and twisted
To loving and kind

A poem with power
To change the world
A poem that screams out
With flags unfurled

I want to write a poem
That will make the sick well
And bring them out gently
From their ravaged hell

And ode to a country
A nation in pain
A prayer for good harvest
A dance to bring rain

I want to write words
That put and end to all greed
Prejudice, anger
Bad thought and deed

I want to write a poem
But how do I start?

With clarity
Vision

And a hopeful heart…..

Copyright (C) Debbi Voisey 2008

1 comment:

Sue Fell said...

What a lovely poem Debbi! I really enjoyed it, some lovely sentiments and the hope IS there. Great stuff!